Job Openings (Updated 06-2021)
Youth Leadership Council – Summer Organizer
(June – August)
ASE is seeking a Youth Leadership Council (YLC) Summer Organizer to assist the Youth Violence/Prevention Coordinator and help further develop the Youth Leadership Council (YLC), a group of youth (ages 12-19) working on issues they identify. ASE unites Black indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) youth on the SE side to have a voice in the community on social justice issues.
The organizer should have some knowledge of the YLC or youth organizing, able to utilize or willing to learn restorative justice practices and trauma informed care, and comfortable speaking publicly. Some experience as a community leader or with community organizing preferable.
Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Attend YLC Meetings and assist with peace circle, agenda, and facilitation (or willing to learn).
- Current meeting time is Wednesdays, 4-5 pm, subject to change for summer hours
- Assist with retainment of current YLC members, help checking in on youth, and conduct frequent one-on-ones.
- Work with the Coordinator to help to build curriculum for the YLC Summer Program around topics such as, restorative/transformative justice, healing justice, community and team building and leadership/professional development.
- Help coordinate events
- Assist with YLC outreach/recruitment efforts by attending and tabling at local community events
- Create marketing materials, such as fliers, to hand out during outreach events
- Maintain YLC social media accounts ( Instagram, Facebook)
- Assist with attending one of the 3 current campaigns we are involved with:
- Environmental – Weekly Thursday 8 pm Virtual Calls
- Treatment Not Trauma – Biweekly 3:30 – 5:00 pm Virtual Calls
- Alternatives for School Safety – Calls differ depending on needs. Debrief, mainly will take place in the morning and, at times, afternoon.
Benefits: Will be offered 15-20 hours per week, at $15 hours per hour.
How to apply: Please send a resume to Oscar, at email@example.com, with “YLC Summer Organizer” in the subject line of the email.
Alliance of the SouthEast (ASE) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, disability or any other factor not specifically related to the ability to perform the job at hand.
ASE is looking for volunteers!
- Are you looking to get involved in the community or are you already involved in the community?
- Would you like to make a difference in the community?
- Do you need community service hours?
- Would you like to gain some work experience?
The Alliance of the SouthEast is looking for volunteers for neighborhood projects in South Chicago and the East Side. Volunteers should be passionate about working with other residents and institutions to make a difference in the community. We are looking for people who have good interpersonal skills and a positive attitude and spirit. We are looking for people who like working with diverse populations (African Americans and Latinos). We are also looking for volunteers to do some light office work and make phone calls 1-2 times per week. If you are looking to help longer term, we will try to match interests to one of our campaigns. Fluency in Spanish is not necessary, but preferred.
We are open to local residents looking to volunteer to fulfill service hours. Work may include: helping with an event, making phone calls, door knocking, updating databases. We will do our best to match interests.